I used Multilingual App Toolkit 3.0 for my Xamarin application in Visual Studio 2013 in Windows 8.1. Then I moved to a new machine with windows 10 and I installed Visual Studio 2015. Then I opened that Xamarin project in VS 2015 and when I was building the project it gave me an error.
The imported project “C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\Multilingual App Toolkit\Microsoft.Multilingual.ResxResources.targets” was not found.
Confirm that the path in the <Import> declaration is correct, and that the file exists on disk.
Then I searched solutions for the error and according to the error, my new machine has not installed Multilingual App Toolkit.
Solution and Next steps
So I installed Multilingual App Toolkit v.4.0 which is compatible with Visual Studio 2015.
You can download from
Then the installer will download to your machine and you have to install it manually.
After I installed Multilingual App toolkit 4.0 I built the project again and I got another error.
Multilingual App Toolkit v4.0 upgrade blocked
The Multilingual App Toolkit v4.0 is not compatible with previous versions of the toolkit
According to above error message, I browsed the link in the http://aka.ms/mat4faq
According to their technical references I will describe steps to convert from v3 to v4.
- First take a backup of existing project.
- Then we have to open the project which has Multilingual App toolkit v3.
- Then we have to disable app toolkit for projects. Go to tools and click “Disable Multilingual App Toolkit”.
- Then Copy current .xlf files to another location as a backup and delete all .xlf files in the project.
- Then rebuild the project.
Sometimes these steps are not enough to fully disable toe Multilingual App toolkit. So we have to disable it using config file manually.
Here are steps to remove them manually.
1.Right click the config file in the project and open it.
2.Search the label “MultilingualAppToolkit” in the config file.
3.Then delete above <PropertyGroup> which contains <MultilingualAppToolkitVirsion> tag.
4.Then we have to search again “MultilingualAppToolkit” label. And you will see <import> element.
And also we have to delete the <Import> tag which contains “MultilingualAppToolkit”.
5.Then rebuild the project.
Now we have removed configurations of Multilingual App Toolkit from our project and we are ready to add v4.0 configurations.
Then we have to enable Multilingual App Toolkit from Toolbox.
When we enable the Multilingual App Toolkit v4.0, we are ready to recycle Transitions from v3.0 project’s .xlf files.
Below I have added steps for that.
1. Please check that the Multilingual App Toolkit v4.0 is enabled.
2. Then click on the project and select Multilingual App Toolkit=> Add transition languages
3. We can see language list in a window like below. Select languages that previously we have added to the project.
When click “OK”. New xlf files will be added to our project in a folder called “MultilingualResources”. Below image shows it.
4. Then click on “MultilingualAppResources” folder and click .. Multilingual App Toolkit=> Import / recycling translations
Then you will see below window.
5. Click “Add button” and then select v3 xlf files from the location that we have copied from previous project.
6. Then Select xlf files that we copied from the temporary location and Click “Open”. Then selected xlf files will be added to import resources form.
7. And an Important thing is we have to check the “Enable resource recycling” check box. And then click the import button.
8. Then rebuild the project.
Then we can see those .xlf files has been added to project and the project has built successfully.
Thank you !